About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 1, 2009

Cycling in Kansas

We were out of internet service for two days and so it goes. Now I will work at catching up.

Did I write about the spring winds of Deming, NM?  That ride was on Thursday, February 26th.
Yes, this is the same ride day as the bulls with horns.  After five miles of  fair riding weather I encountered wind like nothing I have ridden through before.  This wind was like a tide pushing me to the right then sucking me to the left. Each mili second I was being pushed or pulled and seldom with the same force.  This lasted for nine long miles.  Now imagine the game of tug of war. One side pulls and the other side also pulls, but they are not attempting to move forward at the same time!  Nor are they attempting to keep from being pulled into the road or pushed into the ditch alongside the road. 

While managing to keep myself upright, my eyes were watering and my nose was losing liquid at the same time.  Once at a particularly tense moment I had a tear drop on my face that tickled and tickled and I could not address it.  There were also no bathroom stops but a house every too often, for out in the wilds relief.

Has anyone measured the strength used in this sort of wind.  It seemed that I used up many calories in that long 14 miles.

No comments: