About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 30, 2009

The Writer's Almanac" to begin the day and other literature

Thanks to our cousin Enid we are now reading "The Writer's Almanac" each day.  What a delight! It is available to all on the web and one can even have it sent daily to one's email, one of the blessings to look forward to while one shifts through SPAM.

Sean O'Casey: "All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed."

Our former B&B guest and since friend, Danielle Ofri is having her first book re-released, "Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue".  Please tell a friend and suggest it to your book club.

The other day I was reading the blog of a nineteen year old young woman who cycled from Durango to Washington DC last September.  Lucy used a quote from Ernest Hemingway and it needs to be repeated here. "It is by riding a biccle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.  Thus yu remember them as they atuall are, while in a motor car only a high hill impreses you, and you have no such accurate rememberance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle."


There are least two other cros country bicycle rides scheduled for this year, one is to Re-energize America ( alternative energy) and another is by and for Veterans, see: Tyler E. Boudreau's  biography of the Iraq war "Packing Inferno".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana and David,
I'm still reading about your exploits and I again say that they are well written. Nature can be a challenge and it brings home how difficult it was in the days of horses and wagons. I really don't like humid climates, having lived in Miami, FL for 13 years and Austin, TX for 4.5 years.
Take care,
Ron