About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 24, 2009

The land becomes flat at sea level

Actually it has been since last week that I have begun to relish riding on flat land.  There still remains some ups for the bridges often use elevations to cross the bayous or rivers, it is a delight. Monday, March 24 I rode on the Sea Wall of Galveston built in 1902. Then I rode down town riding past the piers for the cruise ships and then the parking lots for the passengers embarking the cruise ships. Very little elevation in this town! What a history. Our little Venice of the southwest which keeps getting washed away and needing to be shored up form the ever encroaching sea.

Today we will drive out of Houston's cancer alley with the refineries and electric alleys to more cyclist friendly air and rodes.  We will camp in Village Creek State Park in the Texas' Big Thicket.  A black water creek with a clean sand on the bottom which does not carry diseases as it is tannic acid from the oak leaves deposited by the nearby oak trees.  Most important if one is looking for clean water.  This was a task for the early Europeans on the east coast and many died because they took water which was not clean.

No comments: