About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 4, 2009

Riding at the speed of light

March 3rd, I rode from Horizon, TX  just outside of El Paso, TX to McNary, TX where there is not a there there. Flat terrain allowed me to again concentrate on posture, breathing with my mouth closed which is now a necessity as insects are out and about, keeping my back straight and peddling in circles.  After lunch I began to increase my speed to 16 mph, then 18, then 20 mph.  I can not explain how or why really, it just happened to my great joy.

My average speed is hampered by pit stops, telephoning David,  putting a jacket on or taking one off and checking the map for direction at an intersection. Now that I am increasing my speed hopefully I will be able to ride for an hour at 20 mph then do all those other things so that I will see a better mph average.

The traffic was light on the two lane road.  I asked a young woman about the road ahead of me from Horizon traveling east and her reply was that there was no shoulder and the road was not good.  Well, I found a good shoulder and the road was delightful.  I passed many orchards presumably pecan orchards.  There was a ditch most of the route except when I was in cotton field territory.  Like Europe I rode beside a canal but the sickly sweet smell of fertilizer destroyed the pastoral scene.

Texas is another country and this rural area seems so different. Visitors to our area of the Four Corners probably feel the same way about the differences they experience.  We passed yet another prison.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diana -

Like the new arrangement of your blog. Makes it easier for those of us who are following along to get to the part we're most interested in, namely, "What's she up to now?!"