About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 29, 2009

Forests, Alligators, Armadillos

First though, hills.  For many days I have understood but not written that the hills which trouble me are the ones that are like rollers coaster rides, they go immediately down and then as swiftly up repeatedly, over and over again. They are not soft, smooth and undulating.

In Louisiana we have been in forests which for those of us who are desert rats find uncomfortable for they cause a claustrophobic response.  For miles one is incarcerated on both sides of the road and can not see where in the world one is or what is ahead.  I have heard people complain that the road between Farmington and Albuquerque is monotonous, no, no that is beautiful landscape forever changing in colour and contour.

Last night we drove into Ville Platte, where I had ridden earlier, to eat at "The Jungle" a Cajun restaurant.  The parking lot was full.  We noticed a car parking next door in the Veterans Hall lot so we followed suit. We asked a van full of high school girls with little crowns upon their heads if this would be alright.  Yas sir, yas sir they responded enthusiastically.  They had even waved to us as we drove in and parked. That should have been a sign. They were so happy with the evening they thought anything would go down well.  While eating happily a fellow came to our table to ask if we were from New Mexico.  I naturally believed he was interested in our Coast to Coast; Wheeling for Women story.  Instead he wished to warn us that our truck was about to be towed away.  Where are the beauty queens when you need them?

David enjoyed a pontoon ride on the lake where he caught sight of an eight foot alligator. There are reportedly 12,000 alligators in this lake and if one was ridding in a boat at night an was also shinning a torch about thousands of little red lights of alligator eyes would appear.

No comments: