About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 6, 2009

A pilgrimage is not a vacation

When on vacation one pays attention to one's desires and whims. That is the goal. But for a pilgrimage, which is more like our venture just now, one has a goal to be met and one must approach each day with one's shoulder to the wheel.  I find also that emotions are larger, they seem to be mirrored back at a higher resolution.  This may happen because there is little to distract.  But when I react in a not altogether pleasant form the mirror does not reflect a pretty picture which at home I do not seem to see so well. We have just the one obligation of the day plus the haul water and chop wood.  This may be one of the major reasons which have kept humans taking pilgrimages, to reflect upon one's self and one's life.

There are days, again like today, in which I do not relish getting on the bike. I would rather loaf around, become a tourist or many even read and yet that is not true.  I look forward to being outside in the fresh air with the sun all around me, to making the challenge of miles gained on the bike and would not want to have my life today be any different.
I am blessed!

No comments: