About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 7, 2009

Head Wind

March 6th, the ride went well but I had head winds from the east and south.  We experienced strong winds all night long as well.  I met on the road a fellow Southern Tier Cyclist but he was traveling west.  Today I met another fellow traveling west.  Both days have had the eastern winds and the up and down and up and down of terrain. Yesterday I rode past the Glass Mountains and over the Pecos River.  We spent the night at Seminole Canyon State Park. 

The Acacia shrub or tree are in bloom and smell so delightfully sweet one can believe one is in paradise.  We continue to hear birds that are new to us or that we do not have in Farmington.

We were out of Internet service for sometime including this morning. David and I nearly missed each other this morning on the route.  David stayed at the museum of the Seminole Canyon while I began my morning cycling journey.  We were without the use of cell phones.  We were to meet at the grocery store in Comstock but I believed I was in Comstock with no sign for the town that was not a town and the grocery store was not open. There were three daschunds who were trying their best to gather the courage to beat me up, but I looked far to intimidating.  David drove right past me because where I had stopped did not look like the town of Comstock.  I had noticed that the Hwy sign read "Del Rio 32 miles", so surely I must be Comstock and it was not just ahead over the hill a mile or so beyond.  You see we have experienced several towns which aren't.  David did see me after he passed and turned around. We did pass the "town of Comstock" up the hill and around the bend put we might still not call it a town.  We drove right on past, no ice, no bananas, no apples.   Since we still had no cell phone service we drove ahead closer to Del Rio where I will make up the miles with my trusty cell phone working.  So I am not the intrepid explorer yet.

As I began to ride over a bridge this morning a train was approaching with double decker viewing cars. How fun!  I did not need to stop to enjoy the experience because the wind was so strong that I was traveling at the speed of a tortoise.

No comments: