About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 23, 2009

Breaking camp for Galveston

Friday, March 20th, we left Buescher State Park to drive to Galveston.  I was physically down again which had begun the previous afternoon.  By mid day I was having the chills and fever again and we stopped of the night in Richmond Wal-Mart parking lot so that I could lay down and be miserable.  Saturday we drove on towards Galveston stopping at a RV camp just fifteen miles form the city.  I was in need of a non-moving bed again. Sea Gulls appeared to be fishing in the Bayou on the edge of the RV camp.  The sea gull cry is often endearing.

David and I had a grand time struggling as we both worked to unscrew a chain clip.  David had asked for my help and he showed me which direction to turn to unscrew the stuck chain clip using as example the one which he had taken off of the truck already.  These clips are part of the safety chains connecting the truck and trailer. Do you have any idea of the strength it takes to unscrew in the wrong direction?  It takes Herculean strength and power. Thank goodness Diana has been adding to her strength. It took a full days ride of strength. Now for those of you who understand that a chain clip has a design which could help any fool decide which way to unscrew it will understand our dismay a day later when we realized just how clear the evidence had been to unscrew in the right direction.

The Ohlson side of my family has history in Galveston.  My great grandmother Matilda Johanson's sister lived in Galveston.  Matilda was visiting Galveston in the 1915 flood.  They took refuge climbing bales of cotton in a warehouse to wait out the rising waters.  With regret I realized I do not know that sister's name.  The old cemetery seems to be in good order but will not help me now. David's aunt Eleanor MacDonald visited Galveston in her girlhood with fond memories of its delights.  At the turn of the century the city was the pride of the west and a most important port, bringing in not only goods but strong German immigrants, a few Swedes too and exporting cotton.  David and I wished to visit the ocean again so we are on the Gulf of Mexico.  It would seem that one should be able to bike along the coast for some of the coast to coast trip.

No comments: