About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

March 28, 2009

Louisana and 97% humidity

Another truth has come, Louisana is not flat or else the land would be under water.  Today, Saturday 28, we are in yet another State Park,Chicot.  We have had rain the past four nights the last three of which have been with lightening stirkes throughout the heavens and rolling thunder to rock the trailer. David paces the trailer during the night to check if we are bringing on water. His work since the Texas rain storms has left us rather dry and toasty.  On my bed water has been absorbed onto the sheet during two of these rainstorms, but not too much and it dries quickly. We do not yet know where this leak has its source.

The day of 97% humidity was not overly hot, the roads had good shoulders but I was on yet another set of rolling hills which drains energy from me.  Today we have chilly temperatures around 60 degrees, so I am waiting until afternoon to get on the bike.  We have been out of internet and cell phone connection for the previous two days, because of the forests and rolling hills.  One becomes quickly dependant upon on such a service.  These forested rolling hill leave us desert rats a sense of being lsot for one can not see where one is.

There have been days and yesterday was one in which I wondered yet again why I will go on with the trip knowing full well that I will. It is part of the transformation of self.  A dying of the old self is required in order for the new to be allowed in. David and I have continually expereiced a "refreshing" of our relationship.  Heidi used that word "refreshing" and it is apt. We have had little to no anger towards each other and laugh often when we find ourselves doing some mechanical project backwards. In fact we seem to laugh at ourselfs often. Does that mean we are doing even more things backwards than we realize?

As we visit with folks along the route they are always amazed at this venture and wish us a safe trip.  We had one fellow drive in front of us to the Fullerton State Park the night before last for there was no sure way of explaining the route for the roads are not well signed and seem to wander about aimlessly.  The same was the case in this state park yesterday afternoon as a park ranger guided us to the north camipng area which was four miles up. Yesterday we also made a stop to check a slow leak in one of the trailer tires which in the end had a screw embedded within. The fellows at the tire shop were most amased at our story.

No comments: