About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

April 9, 2009

Riding into Florida, YEA

Yesterday, April 9th, Wednesday I biked to Florida.  I was anxiously awaiting to yell Hip hip hooray when arriving at the "Welcome to Florida" sign but there was not one and I did not know when I had arrived.  We are in the last sate of this coast to coast trip!  I had a noticeable tail wind, really and truly, for most of the ride and was taken over two bridges which are arched to let ships pass under but they present a challenge of the up.  The shoulders were decent.

Sadly new hotels and houses have been rebuilt since Katrina on the dunes, destroying the dunes, destroying habitat for turtles and other wildlife.   Besides this when the storms do their work the debris is full of mattresses, stoves, refrigerators, toilets, sinks, tables, chairs and the wreck of the hotel.  Since it is not necessary why, why is it allowed?  And it is the taxpayer who picks up the tab for the clean up and the rebuilding, since no insurance company will touch this doomed building frenzy.

No comments: