About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

April 11, 2009

Happy Easter and DeFuniak, Springs folks

This is a cute set of Happy Easter photographs
http://blogs.catster.com/the-cats-meow-a-cat-and-kitten-blog/this-easter-beware-of-identity-theft/2009/04/09/

We have four more weeks before we will return home. This odyssey has been long and short and all of the above. I have been feeling much stronger these past two weeks now waht a difference.

Yesterday we drove from our state park to DeFuniak Springs, FL stopping along the lake in the center of town. David wished for me to take a ride around the lake where there are a collection of historic Victorian homes with ancient oak and magnolia trees. I rode past a United Methodist Church with a few people going in and out of the office so I stopped in and shared the story of the venture with the office folks. I have not done this often as there have been few churches on my route and I am not the most presentable when in my sweaty biking gear. Then David and I met up again, he took a photograph of me in front of the church and I was off.

Just this moment a mockingbird sat on the our truck outside my Argosy window then flew off and then a second one came and the fought for this space and now are both gone.

James Pinckard from San Juan College Human Health and Performance Center gave me the contact of his parents church in Pensacola. I have not been successful in making contact with them and as we approached this week I felt it would not be appropriate to stop by in the week before Easter. James also mentioned that his parents live in DeFuniak Springs. As David was walking around the lake a woman about our age on a bike stopped him asking if he was from Farmington, NM. David replied in the affirmative and she said, "Oh, everyone here knows of your trip. You must stop by the Pinckard house." This house boasts of a Magnolia tree which is the eight largest of Florida's champion trees. However, David believed he needed to get back on the road to meet up with me down the road at our appointed time and place.

We plan at this point to get back to DeFuniak Springs and knock on the door. We will also telephone the Pensacola United Methodist Church.

Thank you to James and his family for sharing our story. Hope to meet with you.


No comments: