About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

February 15, 2009

Naming

Friday, February 13, 2009 the ride was scheduled from Harcuvar to Aguila, AZ and hopefully on to Wickenburg. I did not make it. This was the third day of my third set of biking (3 on,
1 off). The body was rebelling, my neck hurt, my right deltoid hurt, my bum hurt and both knees hurt in a different way.  We had awakened to frost on the truck.  The heater in the trailer is not working, though by the time we have heated several rounds of water for hot coco the trailer warms up a bit, but the cold makes it more difficult to get me out on the ride for the day. Before I left I asked a local about the 32 miles to Aguila.  The gentlemen told me that the road was flat and there would not be much more than sage brush along the way.  Well it was not flat! Thanks to David Hamlow I have an altitude meter which read a rise of over 400 feet during my 31 miles.  The vegetation was not sagebrush but creosote brush and mesquite.
 
I had told David several days ago that I felt I was not honoring the vegetation nor the landscape because I could not identify or name most of what I was seeing.  Most of you will not be surprised that David brought some books on plants, so I have been saved.  Now I can call by name some of these plants.  

Before I arrived in Aguila I knew that I would not be making it to Wickenburg.  When I had stopped for lunch and was getting back on the road  a fellow came up behind me on his bike with a bike trailer and for a moment I was thrilled hoping I would have a biking companion. Quickly we discovered that he was biking at least twice as fast as I was.  This cyclist planned to make the southern tier ride in four weeks. That means 100 miles a day.  He was on his way to Wickenburg before night fall.  Oh Well!

You must agree I picked a good day to have for recovery, Valentine's day.  I did not want to get up on Saturday morning, I was tired also of jumping out of bed each morning.  I wanted to be supine and not have any obligations.  A good time to read a book, which I did.  My stomach decided to misbehave in the late afternoon. I was not your cheery camper, so I went back to reading.  We again went to bed early.  This morning on Sunday I did not want to jump out of bed either so staid under the covers and then read a little bit before we began driving to Phoenix to meet up with relatives. Tomorrow, February 16th, I will get back on the bike.
Phoenix has some bike paths which will allow me to catch up on the mileage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We learned of your journey to raise money for the New Beginnings program.

We know that New Beginnings is valuable in improving the lives of victims of domestic abuse in San Juan County.

In honor of your trek, and New Beginnings, we wanted you to know that we are making a contribution to New Beginnings program. May the Lord bless you in your effort, and also the women and children for whom your trek is raising money-

First Presbyterian Church of Farmington