About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

February 6, 2009

Fourth Day For Recovery

This is Friday morning February 6th, 2009, at Jucumba, CA, Mineral Hot Springs
Our weather is misty and cold compared to the 79 degrees on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday the weather changed to chilling wind and clouds, raining in the evening.  All the scenery has been delightful, not many animals to be seen, not many birds either though we have heard bird song in the mornings and the evenings.  We planned for me to make as much as possible of the finer weather for riding and take the fourth day off for recovery which I might say is needed.

On Wednesday we packed up the trailer to be moved out of La Jolla and headed back out to where I had stopped riding the afternoon of the first day. That first day I managed about 1500' of climb and the same for the second day's ride. The second day, Wednesday, the traffic had dwindled down to 5% to 1%, of the previous day but all, I say all, roads led uphill.  My right knee was beginning to complain about the continual climb.  The Pearl Izumi biking shorts are a wonder.  Three days of riding and I have not been aware of sitting on my bike seat.  Now that is great news!!!!!!  David and I have been working through different plans to meet up and to determine when I should call it quits for a day.  Just as I am ready to throw in the towel David has braced himself for twisting my arm to quit for the day.  His sage advice has not been needed.  

Thursday it was a struggle to get going.  To help my right knee I had rubbed Tea Tree oil on both knees and my traps (shoulders) evening and morning, as well as, some massage. Immediately the road rose uphill and one of the few times on the major Highway #8. I was elated though seeing the sign that told me I had managed 3,000 ' by the end of that second day. After finding a nearly flat spot after some climbing, I brought out my windbreaker which did not make me too warm but the sun was playing hide and seek, the outside temperature and the climbs varied enough that I did not stay too cold nor too hot.  Some time after leaving Highway 8, now riding on a serene country road, I bonked barely getting my feet unclipped in time to stand on the ground.  I was shaking a bit so it was time to take out the trusty large chocolate candy bar.  No, I will not make a habit of this but I had not had a chocolate bar for a week.  I continued to walk while eating the chocolate and then an apple.  A helicopter flew overhead. David  being somewhere else also saw the helicopter and worried about its significance. 

David's job is a tough one as he must find me at the one and only of our several appointed marks and we have not gotten this down precisely.  David does not know until he sees me, if I have managed well. In fact, we missed each other an hour or so after the chocolate bar walk.  I had come to a small village and stopped at the tiny market, about the size of a small 7 to 11. David stopped a few doors down at the larger but still tiny hardware store because it looked to be more prominent.  Not finding me at the hardware store David proceeded to drive ahead. Does not a cyclist think only of the next pit stop with toilet and food? I was feeling cold and asked if Pine Valley was uphill or downhill and learning it was down hill proceeded because Pine Valley would have a more stores.  

Finally I get to go downhill, yea, and it is freezing.  I made a vow that the clogs that I had packed for the potential walking were to be taken out of the bike bags and more worm clothes placed in said bags.  I had been walking when necessary in my biking shoes which served just fine.  It seems to make sense now.  Live and learn.  David had stopped at the Pine Valley grocery store so we met up and I washed off a bit and lay down thinking I would be in bed for the next 24 hours.  Food got me up though and we made the decision to drive ahead to the hot springs for help in the day of recovery. 

Two hours or more in the mineral springs using the jets on my  knees and the gall bladder meridian and then more food and I felt much revived, in fact ready to go to sleep.  One questions the wisdom of taking a day of recovery when one can still move and walk, why, I not sure, but with the cold mist and the knowledge that I have many miles to go helps make me stick to the day of recovery.  Plus we have laundry and I must study the instructions for the bike computer.

No comments: