About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

January 6, 2009

Domestic Violence

We have the image, the hope, that we live in a peaceful, mythical world, but many in our country live in a violent environment, a violent home where anger is acted out upon another human being.  The figures are astounding: in 2002 there were 17,397 Domestic Violence incidents identified by New Mexico law enforcement. In 2003 New Mexico's First Lady, Barbara Richardson, sited 1 in 7 Domestic Violence incidents are reported with 25,000 calls which came into law enforcement for the year.  That translates into 175,000 estimated Domestic Violence actions against another human being.
     A woman is beaten every nine seconds in the United Sates.  On average, more that three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends in this country every day.  Approximately 17% of pregnant women report having been battered.  
Why?
see: http://www.taoscav.org/domestic_violence/statistics.php

No comments: