About Me

My photo
United States
Are we not all on a heroine's or heroe’s journey? It is my younger daughter who first led me into biking, a bit of running and Yoga. As the retirement years approach I now see that I can spend my time in physical sport, a new passion for me, and help people at the same time. For the past two years, I came in first in my age category for the Standard Olympic Triathlon in Farmington, New Mexico ( the first race of my adult life). A native New Mexican, born in Albuquerque, I have lived in several states and abroad but for thirty years have lived Farmington,NM. I have a marvelous husband, three adult children and five grandchildren and many friends who are supporting this cycling venture.

November 11, 2008

November 9, 2008

Today I rode my bike between three water towers, up on the bluffs of NAPI ( Navajo Agricultural Products Industry),with a few crows and a small plane which circled many times over the chilly fields. As I work towards being on my bike in the inclement weather I find a peace.
It is the case that in this on the job training venture I have come to learn or see that I will not be able to adequately determine where I will be stopping for any one night as towns, state parks and National parks are not conveniently spaced by 30 miles per day for a ride, nor 50 miles apart for that matter. I cannot at this time be sure how many miles I will be able to manage each day because that will be determined by the climb over some mountains, the weather and how much I have already ridden for that past few days. I have found that I need to think outside the box in many ways including achieving miles between cities does not need to confomr to a week or two weeks but may be broken down to number of days, sixteen or eighteen. Learning, learning.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Diana - I will be cheering for you every leg of the way!

Enjoy!
Teresa

Unknown said...

What an awesome journey! I wish you all the best and will be checking this often!!

Keely Aragon-Horton

JENNYB said...

Diana,
What an inspiration!. I wish you great strength, support,love and beauty on the journey. Much much love and looking forward to following you! jenny in telluride

Anonymous said...

Diana,
Way to live BIG! I am so excited for you on this journey. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Diana,
Way to go! I love that you are doing something HUGE! My thoughts will be with you. I will be checking in on you often.
Love,
Velvet

nicollet said...

Congratulations Diana............. for attempting such an endeavor!!!!!!!
YOU ARE AN AMAZING WOMEN...JUST LIKE YOUR DAUGHTER IN STEAMBOAT!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE RIDING A BIKE ACROSS COUNTRY!!!!
IT WILL BE FUN TO KEEP TRACK OF YOU THRU YOUR
BLOG!!!!!
WISHING YOU STRENGTH AND FORTITUDE AS YOU PREPARE FOR THE JOURNEY AHEAD!
NICK AND SUE

Al B in Farmington said...

I wish I could travel on your journey with you, Diana! But since I can't, I will follow your accomplishments on this blog. Good Luck, Diana!